Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Last Week of Summer Break

I realize that many people around the country have started school already, but I just can't bring myself to start before Labor Day. We've decided to do what SK is doing, and start on the 9th, the first Wednesday after Labor Day weekend. Tyler has gone to spend the next two nights with a buddy in Port Orchard, and Travis has a friend coming here for the night tonight.

Bremerton schools started today, so I imagine we may get a few odd looks from the neighbors…but that comes with the territory. It struck me today that we are the weird new neighbors. Ah well….I filled out my declaration of intent to homeschool and will mail it tomorrow. It's due by the 15th.

The family that Tyler is staying with schooled through the summer. I sent a 4th grade workbook with him, pages marked, so he can participate and not be a distraction while they school. It'll be a good warm-up for him. I need to go to storage this weekend to pull out the parts of our curriculum that aren't here. I did get our science curriculum in the mail on Monday. I'm looking forward to doing it, it looks fun.

2 comments:

Kim said...

I've got to hand it to ya Lori, you've got some long days ahead homeschooling. I'm sure it has more perks than I'm seeing. We have some neighbors who also home-school, I dont think it "weird", just wonder if its the best socially. Your kids seem to have lots of child interaction with scouts and stuff. But one could say the same about exposing them to all the bad as well. It definitly takes more strength to do it than to not do it.

Maureen said...

Public school is not all bad. Its just what one person choses to do over another. Hats off to you Lori, I know I couldn't have done it.