Wednesday, November 5, 2008

WOW!

The children are nestled all snug in their beds....it's amazing!

We had a good day today. We studied some American History, and some government...go figure.

While we were walking, Travis and I had a discussion about the presidential election: what an historic event this is and how much race may have influenced the outcome. I wanted him to understand that I think people voting for Obama just because he's black is racism, and every bit as bad as not voting for him just because he's black. I wanted Travis to know that it's the moral character of a person, what they believe in and what they stand for that is really important.

I wasn't sure I was getting my point across the way I wanted to, until Travis made his own observation. He basically said if both candidates had been black then we would know that people had voted for the best man and not the "black" man. Okay, he shut me up....I knew he understood what I was saying, lesson over. He may have learned two lessons, the 2nd one being the surest way to end a lecture is to show me you already know what I want you to know. That boy makes me proud.

Travis has been very chatty lately, but that's a good thing. I want him to tell me what he read in youth group and what the kids are saying. He seems to be in a good place emotionally right now, and with these tumultuous hormonal years times like this are a blessing.

Tyler made his "Be a Good Citizen Poster" for Scouts this afternoon. He's working on his Citizenship belt loop and pin. He needs to make a collage about America next. This is part of why we were learning about American History.





I can't believe how much I love watching them be artistic. Travis has been writing stories. They are pretty typical for boy his age: aliens, war, friends being weird.

Poor baby Tommy. He seemed very confused tonight, as Travis and I sat together reading and talking. Tommy was very demanding for attention, not understanding that it was Travis time. It got worse when Travis left for a snack and Tyler jumped in his place. Then Tommy didn't know if he should try to get my attention, or Travis's. He was going back and forth between us. He is really growing up too quickly.

I'm tired, so off to bed. Good Night!

2 comments:

Renlim73 said...

You are a great teacher. I am so glad your boys are learning, I just wish they would slow down the growing!
Can't wait to see you in three weeks!

Rainbow said...

love the poster Tyler.....Good job! Love............Later..........rainbow