Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Mama’s Brag Post

Some weeks are better than other's when it comes to raising kids, and seeing the choices they make. This week Tyler and I couldn't go to our Scout meeting, to avoid sharing our wonderful stomach bug with any of our friends. Travis, it seems, is always looking for an excuse to not go to his meeting. So often, in fact, that I have asked him several times if he wants to quit. Well, when I said we weren't going to the meeting, I figured for sure Travis would be looking for a way out….nope. In fact, he spent some time that afternoon making sure he had the design for their patrol flag printed out, and he made a point of asking me for a copy of the formal flag ceremony. It seems one of the new scouts in his patrol doesn't have it memorized but wanted to lead the ceremony. Travis said the Boy Scout leader was a little disorganized and couldn't find a copy last week, so Travis wanted to make sure he brought one in case somebody needed it.

Is this leadership I see coming out in my son? Whoa! It's too cool! This change in attitude seems to have come along with his new role as Patrol Leader. In fact, he received his badge 2 weeks ago, and he was a little pushy about me getting it sewed on before he went on a hike with his patrol a few days later. I think he's proud of the position, and is taking it seriously. Yay!

Mom & Me Camp was fun, at least what we stayed for was. Tyler woke up at 1:00 a.m. vomiting. Not fun. I decided to get him comfortable and hold off till morning to go home, because another mom and her son had ridden with us and they really wanted to do the morning activities. However, after the 3rd episode, I made the call to go home. It took us awhile to pack up and haul it all down to the car, but we were on the road by 3:30 a.m. The other mom and son understood. I'll post pictures, but probably not until after we move.

The move….only a couple days left to finish packing. Saturday we'll get the storage unit and start moving everything out. Melissa, is it important to you that I keep the knitting machine or the VHS Taebo? If not, I'm donating them. Tonight I saw some fun benefits of the move…I ran into a friend at the Post Office, I had another friend point out that we can carpool if need be to and from church functions, and yet another lady pointed out how easy it would be to get together for park days or to set up the pitching machine….like I couldn't have driven in from Port Orchard for that stuff, but somehow being in town just makes it easier.

At the church tonight, I had the opportunity to hear a Christian band I hadn't heard before. I had walked into the youth room to get Travis, and stopped to talk to a lady I know. But then the stereo started playing what I thought was "I Love Rock & Roll." I was just getting ready to ask if that was appropriate music for the occasion, when the lady I was talking to pointed out that it was "I Love Apostle Paul" by Apologetix. They are a Christian parody band who "specializes in biblical parodies of rock hits from the 60s through the 90s" and today. They will be playing in Mount Vernon next Friday night. I think the youth group is planning on going. I checked out their webpage, and I think it would be fun to get some of their CDs. Melissa, I just downloaded The Devil Went Down to Jordan, here are the lyrics: http://www.apologetix.com/music/song.php?freebie=true &song_id=28

Okay, don't know when I'll be checking in again. Have fun everyone!

3 comments:

Renlim73 said...

I love that your boy is becoming a leader. I hope you guys feel better soon. Poor Tyler.
No need to keep either item, and I will look at the lyrics over the weekend when I get a chance.
Hope your move goes well, and I will try to be in touch soon.
btw can I get your new number too? I think I know it, but want to be sure!
Thanks!

Kim said...

Are you guys feeling better yet? Hope it's not the Swine flu....yuck!!! Good luck with your move.

Maureen said...

Good luck with your move Lori, hope you are feeling better from the flu? Get to the dr. if your all not feeling better by now! This swine flu is scary stuff.