Monday, January 5, 2009

Back to Scouts

The rain managed to wash away most of the snow. There was no problem with driving today. This means there was no problem getting to Scouts today.

I have to say I am very proud of the boys in my den. One of them worked very hard to complete many achievements over the holidays. He was practically bouncing, asking me to look at and sign his book, I love that he was that excited about it. Tyler wanted to lead the flag ceremony, but because he led it at the pack meeting the last time it was our turn, I wanted to get the boy who hadn't had a turn yet to do it. Well, this other boy is the smallest and the shyest in our den, and he hid his face and said he didn't want to, so I let Tyler do it. However, after the opening ceremony the smaller boy said he would be willing to do the closing ceremony. We practiced it together during our den meeting, and he did a great job during the real thing! It's amazing to watch these boys growth over the years.

Our theme for the month is "Amazing Games." We're having the pack marble shoot next Monday, and we had a short practice time tonight. My plan for the other den meeting we'll be having was to have each boy bring their favorite board/card game from home. Well, instead I had all the boys ask me if they could bring in their various collections to show. Okay, it's their den…if that's what they want to do that's great. They'll get something else signed off in their books that way too, and maybe even earn a different belt loop.

I made an appearance at the Boy Scout meeting. Eric had e-mailed me asking me to make up some permission slips for this month's outing/activity. Okay…I met one of the new parents too. Travis said they are working on their Citizenship Badge. Cool. He was also telling me some of the plans they have coming up, including various camps and activities. He let me know very clearly that he does not want to go back to Camp Piggott. I think he may go to Wash Jam though, that sounds like fun. I may even get to go to Wash Jam, we'll see.

I have a board of review on Thursday, followed by a committee meeting. We'll be going over the calendar, and I think we'll be planning another Court of Honor. This time it is my job to make sure the boys get all of their stuff. I'm wondering if the Court of Honor is going to be around the same time as the Cub Scout's Blue and Gold Banquet. I wouldn't think so, as the Boy Scout Asst. Troop Leader is also the Cub Scout B&G chairperson, but you never know. I'm just glad I'm not supposed to be planning it this year.

We got home just after Grandpa pulled in the driveway. He went grocery shopping, and brought us the stuff there's too much of. That was nice of him. Fred Meyer is having a good sale on milk and orange juice, so we benefited from that. We also benefitted from Costco selling big blocks of cheese and giant bottles of honey.

I found some cool social studies books on Amazon.com that I want to get. Maybe in a few weeks I'll be able to order those. Travis was asking me again about making our own books, so we still need to do that too.

That's all for now. I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow, all this text is getting boring! Good Night!

No comments: