Thursday, January 15, 2009

Interesting Meeting

Just playing with the camera's timer setting.



That was one intense meeting. It turned out not to be a "staff" meeting necessarily, so much as a staff, deacon, trustee, elder board meeting. Basically, the people who make the decisions and handle the running of the church. There are a whole bunch of changes going on in the church right now, and this meeting was to find out what direction everybody thinks the church should be headed, and to discuss our options, concerns, ideas, etc.... We have some serious issues going on. I had mentioned being bothered that I didn't know what was up in the church, well now I know.

So anyway, about 90 minutes into the meeting (after we'd all spoken up about our biggest concerns, voiced our opinions on matters, discussed the meatiest issues) the moderator of the elder board said we needed to discuss non-members' rolls in the church. The by-laws state that non-members may not hold leadership positions in the church, can't be teachers, etc... they can be helpers, but not leaders. That makes perfect sense. You don't want somebody who isn't committed to the church making decisions for the church. Basically, effective immediately all non-members must either apply for membership or step out of any leadership role they hold. There was also a BIG deal made about not wanting non-members in on the central leadership meetings such as the one we were having. As he was saying this, he said it's okay to have this discussion because everybody in the room was a church member, and then his eyes fell on me..."almost everyone" he amended. I was so tempted to offer to leave. Instead, I informed the room that I have asked for a membership application, twice, and have yet to receive one, and the head elder had enough class to look momentarily guilty. I didn't leave the church without an application tonight.

Melissa, you called again????? Tomorrow, I have no plans except for our walk. It felt so good to get out and walk today. It was only 34F, but it was dry and it was fresh air. The boys were chatty, it was nice. It seems like Travis and I always have our serious conversations on our walks. The stroller cover is a true blessing! Tommy stayed happy not having the cold wind in his face. Travis gave him some chips at the store, and he fell asleep half way home. Tyler rode his bike.

Well, I should either start planning the Court of Honor for next month, type up the nursery schedule, or go to bed. I think I've spent enough time here.

I hope you are all doing well! Get better soon, Geoff!

1 comment:

Rainbow said...

Wow that was one intense meeting, pow wow, bitch season, but now you finally have the forms to fill out LOL. Even though that was one heck of a way to get them!Ok you just called please call back when you can! This is terrible news, I don't know what to say ecxept I'm sorry, please tell Melissa I am thinking and praying for her and her family. p.s. the picture of you and the buys is cute.